Ever wondered why laser tag is so popular among kids and adults equally?
Getting some time of thrill and excitement off guarantees entertainment. Flexibility to play indoors or outdoors makes it easily accessible and overall it’s great exercise and helps reduce screen time. No getting hit, no staining your clothes, laser tag seems like the perfect safe game!
If you buy your own laser tag set, you can play with them nearly everywhere! Just choose a proper set of guns with a proper shooting range and transform any place into a battlefield.
The industry of laser tag set has surfaced lately and manufacturers are willing to do anything to get you to love their product. However, they don’t always get it right.
Here comes our role. Throughout this article, we’ll be guiding you through the choice process and how to assess your needs. Moreover, we’ve compiled a list of 10 of the best laser tag products on the market, hopefully, you’ll find one of them that suits you.
IN A HURRY? HERE’S OUR TOP PICKS
Best Laser Tag Sets Roundup
Without further ado, here’s our hall of fame for the best laser tag sets in the market.
1. Editor’s Choice: Nerf Official Phoenix Multiplayer Exclusive
- MULTIPLAYER COMPATIBILTY – The Nerf Lazer Tag Phoenix LTX Tagger is a complete system that features 2 Phoenix LTX Lazer tag blasters for fun, action packed Lazer battles. All Nerf Lazer Tag Phoenix...
- INDOOR AND OUTDOOR BATTLES – The arena can be anywhere with these Nerf Lazer Tag Phoenix LTX blasters so players can battle inside the home or spread out outside for epic match ups
- FUN FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY – Nerf Lazer Tag Phoenix LTX Lazer tag blasters are great for kids, teens, and adults alike. For ages 8 years old and up, different play settings make the game fun and easy...
Featuring a set of 2-laser tag blasters, the Nerf pack comes with no vests or other attachments. These guns are perfect for both indoor and outdoor use. You just need to set the indoor/ outdoor switch to the playing mode you prefer and you’re good to go.
If you’re familiar with the Phoenix laser tag products, these guns are compatible with them. Hence, providing versatility and allowing for an unlimited number of your kids’ friends to join the game.
An integrated instant feedback feature that alerts players when they’re hit is definitely a plus. Another notable feature is the shielding button, which gives you temporary invincibility through a few seconds of protection against fire as it blocks bullets.
An impressive automatic reload feature takes the weight of stopping the game to recharge off your shoulders. There’s also an option that makes adjustments to the playing field to make it easier for kids. This is a product that suits both amateurs and more suited players equally.
The set is loaded with unique features; a recoil simulation when the trigger is pulled, a reload clip, and a 360-degree sensor. You can also increase the hits limit from 10 to 25 to advance the game and spice things up.
When it comes to quality laser tag guns, sound is a controversial feature; some devices have no sound, while others have a very loud one. Nerf Phoenix laser tag set has an advantage over its competitors in this area, as it offers a wide range of shooting sounds. Adding more ambiance to your game.
This set performs badly when it comes to operating power. It uses 6 AAA batteries that need replacement every 3 hours of gaming, which is annoying and definitely not cost-efficient.
- Recommended for ages 8 years and up
- Can be set to 10 or 25 hits
- No vests included
- Has an indoor/ outdoor switch
- Registers hits with light, sound, and vibration
What We Like
- Impressive sound effects
- Additional taggers are sold separately
- A recoil simulation when you fire
- Vibration when you’re tagged
- No need to stop to reload
- Eco-friendly packaging
What We Don’t Like
- Shooting is not accurate
- Brown packing isn’t convenient to be a present
- Batteries require constant replacement
2. Best Value: ArmoGear Infrared Laser Tag Blasters and Vests
- AUTHENTIC LAZER TAG GAME Turn your home or backyard into a laser tag arena with the ArmoGear laser tag blaster set, the most advanced set of laser tag blasters out there! No other laser tag set has...
- MULTI-PLAYER, MULTI-AMMO Up to 4 teams can play in this riveting battle! Switch between the unique powers of PISTOL, SHOTGUN, MACHINE GUN, and ROCKET to blast your enemy and declare victory! These...
- FUN FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY Tactile vibrations and lifelike shooting sounds make for deeply immersive gameplay, turn kids and adults away from their screens! Have a blast and create cherished memories...
ArmoGear Infrared Laser Tag Blasters Vests set is one of the unique laser tag guns/vests combinations on the market. The set consists of four guns and their corresponding vests with an eye-catching design, allowing up to 4 teams to play against each other.
While most of the modern laser tag game manufacturers are leaning towards eliminating vests and using guns as receiving ends. ArmoGear is reviving the nostalgic feel of wearing a vest to play a proper laser tag game and reviewers seem to love it!
It has a multitude of options, where you can shoot like a pistol, a shotgun, a machine gun and rocket. There are also various modes for vests; ranging from invisible to night mode, alongside with voice-guided missions.
The pistol gives you 12 preloaded shots, wiping off 1 point per shot, such an option would be convenient if you’re facing a large number of opponents.
To step up your game, you should try the shotgun mode that’s preloaded with 5 shots and take 2 points per shot. Machine gun mode is similar but with 9 shots instead of 5.
Finally, you can unleash your inner beast using the rocket mode that takes off 3 points at a time and is loaded with 1 shot only, this is an option you’d like to use wisely and when you have some extra time on your hands.
The invisible mode, which is rather known as “Stealth Fighting Mode”, is a distinct feature of this set. It turns off lights temporarily to give you 15 seconds of invisibility.
You can use vests as targets just like a real arena or you can make guns themselves act as receivers. Guns and vests provide lifelike sounds and vibrations simulating a real arena that’ll surely drive your kids away from their phone screens.
Putting your kids’ safety a priority, these ArmoGear infrared laser tag blasters use child safety infrared signal emissions of 0.9mW power. We like a company that cares about its customers, ArmoGear does that through their full money-back guarantee.
- Pack of 4 infrared laser tag blasters and 4 vests
- Suitable for ages 8 years and up
- Battery operated (3 AAA batteries/ vest or gun)
- 150 feet shooting range
- Vests are included
What We Like
- Stealth mode
- Night vision mode
- Color-coded teams
- Easy to hold and suitable for kids
- Money-back guarantee
What We Don’t Like
- Don’t need precise shooting
- Batteries aren’t included
- The range is less than claimed when used outdoors
- Infrared laser tag blasters can be loud
3. High End: Recoil Combat 4-Player Exclusive
- Recoil is a videogame brought to life!
- Equip your laser targeting weapon and turn any neighborhood into a virtual battlefield.
- Call in airstrikes, collect supply drops and capture GPS-enabled control points.
Recoil Laser Combat is a set of 4 high-quality laser tag guns, doubling the effect of the standard starter kit with the RX-45 Spitfires. As the name suggests, this laser tag gun physically recoils with every shot giving players a real feel of the game. This set brings the famous Recoil video games to life.
This set presents an advanced combination of Recoil laser tag guns and an AR (Augmented Reality) game for a one-of-a-kind experience.
Due to the relatively complex nature of this game, we’d recommend it to children from ages 12 and up. It won’t be the best laser tag gift for the younger ones. To play this game, players need Recoil guns, smartphones on which the app is installed, and a central Recoil hub.
Recoil packs an array of features. The prominent one is the GPS control points it can capture. In addition to the ability to call an airstrike or collect dropped supplies.
On top of that, there’s an AR mobile application that you can install to feel the FPS gaming around you, where the world becomes interactive. Keep notes that guns aren’t compatible with all mobile versions, so check your mobile’s compatibility with it before purchasing.
No need to worry about where to place your phone during the game, the gun has a smartphone holder that can be placed on either the left or right side, depending on which hand you use. It uses a screw clamp to tighten the grip on the phone so that it withstands continuous motion during the game.
- Recommended age is 12 years and up
- Smartphone integrated gameplay
- Up to 16 players per game
- Voice chat option
- Wi-fi game hub to connect to the app
- Requires 12 AAA batteries
What We Like
- Easy setup
- Mobile app included
- GPS-enabled battlefield
- A sense of immersion that no other game provides
What We Don’t Like
- High price tag
- No 3D sound effects
- You need to change batteries frequently
- Connecting the guns to the hubs faces some technical difficulties
4. “Vest” Option: Laser X 88016 Two Players Set
- Blast your opponent's receiver vest from up to 200' Away. Full color lighting effects let you keep track of shots and Hits
- Interactive voice coach gives tips, feedback during the game. Plug in headphones and hear the Laser X soundtrack and sound effects
- Compatible with all other Laser X sets. Play as teams or as individuals
If you want to take it up a notch with your laser tag game, you’ve gotta try this Laser X set. Offering an extended shooting range of 200 feet, you’ll be able to blast your enemies flawlessly especially in an outdoor setting.
You can shoot 25 shots in a short time via the rapid-fire mode. This is the only laser tag set we’ve encountered with this feature, which makes it stand out among its rivals. You can get 8 lives and 10 shots before reloading.
An interactive voice coach will be guiding you throughout the game when you plug in your headphones. The lighting of this gadget is impressive as well, enabling your kid to keep tabs on what’s happening during the game.
Aside from that, it has a feedback mechanism that explains the player’s mistakes, this way they can improve their technique easily.
- 200 feet shooting range
- Receiver vests included
- Unlimited number of players
- Requires 6 AAA batteries (not included)
- Impressive sound effects including a voice coach-mode
What We Like
- Impressive shooting range (200 ft)
- Interactive voice coach
- Interchangeable with other Laser X sets
- Reasonable price
What We Don’t Like
- Loud volume
- Sounds can’t be turned off
- Sometimes guns and vests are not synced
5. Best Choice Products Interactive Multiplayer
- FUN FOR KIDS & ADULTS: Faceoff in an epic blast off with this fully interactive set designed with infrared receivers and light emitters that are both are safe and fun
- LONG-DISTANCE GAME: These infrared blaster toys have an impressive 130-foot range and are safe to play with both indoors and outdoors
- LIGHTS & SOUNDS: Each ammo mode produces corresponding blaster sounds, while blasters light up in response to indicate each players' health
A versatile set of laser tag guns that’s equally loved by adults and kids is this Best Choice Products Interactive Multiplayer set. It has different ammunition levels and customizable possible hits to accommodate different playing styles.
Like some previous guns, it has different operation modes; pistol, shotgun, submachine gun and rocket launcher. This variety allows for a more interactive game and adds a touch of reality to it.
On top of that, it has 3 lights that show how many lives are left for each player, starting from 9 lives. Obviously, each light represents 3 lives. Once you run out of lives, you restart your blaster and your 9 lives are back again. We have to say, this might be a bit of a hassle to handle.
We like the fact that each gun has its own sound effects; a property that’s rarely found in such laser tag gun sets, but it really does make a difference.
- 130 feet shooting range
- No vests included
- Reload is through a push button
- Recommended age is 3 years and up
- Needs only 4 AAA batteries
- Compatible with other Best Choice products
What We Like
- Inexpensive compared to other models
- Accurate infrared beam
- You can have up to 4 teams
What We Don’t Like
- Some reviewers complained about a short shooting range
- You need to turn it off to reset lives
- Bad customer service
- Shooting isn’t accurate
6. Kidzlane Laser Tag Set
- 4-TEAM ACTION TOY Organize breath-taking battles with your friends and get hooked to the most amazing action game! Pick your team in bright GREEN, RED, BLUE or WHITE, and let the merciless wars...
- PICK YOUR AMMO Select one of the 4 Gun Settings - PISTOL, SHOTGUN, SUBMACHINE GUN and ROCKET- and pulverize the enemy! Ultra-realistic shooting sounds accompany each setting for a riveting game!
- TOP NOTCH QUALITY Immerse yourself in the action! These Laser Blasters light up and vibrate while shooting as far as 130ft! Each gun mode comes with a different range of life bars, available shots...
The Kidzlane Laser Tag Set is an indoor and outdoor laser gun for families. It’s one of the most popular sets for medium to large groups.
The main reason for this is that you can match as many sets of Kidzlane to accommodate up to 12 players!
What makes Kidzlane’s Laser Tag Set a go-to is its affordability. For a reasonable price, you already get 4 guns that light up and vibrate as if you’re already playing laser tag in an arena.
And that’s not all. These laser guns are so easy to use that even children can set them up on their own. Sure, it might look big for 5-year-olds, but it’s pretty lightweight and user-friendly.
To start playing, you just have to pick a color, set the shooting type, and reload the gun. The laser guns have 4 different settings – pistol, shotgun, submachine gun, and rocket launcher.
If you’ll notice, Kidzlane’s laser tag set doesn’t have any vests. That means that the sensors and the target will only be the laser gun.
This makes for a slightly challenging game since you have a smaller target, making it even more exciting.
However, Kidzlane Laser Tag Set has its faults too. What could be a few good improvements are better durability so that it lasts even if it falls to the ground, and a more accurate shot with your targets.
What We Like
- Size is just right for both children and adults
- Has 4 types of gun settings to add variety in shooting
- Has a reload feature for a more realistic experience
What We Don’t Like
- Units easily break once it falls
7. Squad Hero Laser Tag
- The most innovative laser tag set yet: Lock ’n load for a fight for domination! Strap on your vest, grab a gun, check your ammo, and transform your backyard or basement into a battle zone for an...
- Rechargeable gear: You never have to stop the game action to change a few dozen batteries. The guns and vests are fully rechargeable! The set includes an innovative charging station to charge all the...
- 360° Combat: 3 target zones (chest, back, and the gun) gives your opponent no escape. Herosync & LCD HUD technologies – Trying to remember the score is never fun, so your guns and vests pair...
The Squad Hero Laser Tag set is one of the most advanced laser gun sets using LCD screens and rechargeable batteries.
Perfect for children, teens, and adults, this laser gun set comes with 4 different gun settings that make it ideal for players who want different shooting styles. You can easily adjust the styles using the buttons by the side of the gun.
But the gun settings aren’t the star of this laser gun set. Instead, it’s the LCD screen that keeps track of all your lives.
Did I mention that you can set the number of lives per game? Yep, you can do this at the start of every game!
The Squad Hero Laser Tag set also comes with a recharging station. This allows you to charge the vests and the guns simultaneously.
The rechargeable battery feature is a good feature to have in laser tag sets. Not only will you save on batteries, but the whole setup makes it more convenient to use.
So far, the Squad Hero Laser Tag set has the most innovation I’ve ever seen on a laser gun, but it could improve on the connectivity issues experienced between the vest and the laser gun.
What We Like
- A single charge lasts up to 4 hours
- Lives per game can be adjustable
- Comes with a charging station for all vests and guns
What We Don’t Like
- Pricier than other laser gun sets
8. Adventure Guys Lazer Tag Deluxe Set
The Adventure Guys Lazer Tag Deluxe Set is part of the hardshell laser gun models that focus on ergonomics. It’s also one of the rare units that include “practice tools”.
By practice tools, I mean that Adventure Guys included a BITSYBOT. The BITSYBOT is a small battery-operated bug that you can use to practice your aim.
This bug moves fast when it’s placed on the floor. It acts as a little practice tool that will help you in shooting and aiming.
Adventure Guys also set out to create durable and ergonomic laser guns. These guns are designed with both children and adults in mind.
If you’ll notice the gun’s handle, it has a large space with ridges on the actual handle. These small designs help in giving a sturdy hold to the laser gun.
To use the laser guns, all you have to do is switch them on and reload the gun. And that’s it! You can already start playing laser tag.
Another unique thing that this laser tag set has is its own hard case. The case looks like a small silver briefcase with cushions inside that hold the guns in place.
Ironically, many complaints are about the case that comes with guns. While I appreciate having a hard case to store the laser guns with, it would be better if it’s a lot more durable than it is now.
What We Like
- Comes with a hard case to store all guns
- Laser guns are ergonomically designed for ease and a secure fit
- No need to wear vests or sensors to be placed on the body
What We Don’t Like
- Lack of quality control on the case and guns
9. HISTOYE Laser Tag
- 【100% Safety & NO actual laser beams OUT】 :Laser tag game designed for up to Age 3+ with Zero-Injury Infrared Light can not harm the children and players. Infrared Signal Emission is less than 1mW...
- 【Cool Design Like Science Fiction Gun】: This lazer tag gun sets can freely switching SINGLE SHOT, SHOTGUN, MACHINE GUN and ROCKET with highly simulated shooting sounds and lights. laser tag guns...
- 【Unparalleled Exciting Battle Game for Multiplayer】: This laser tag set has 4 team colors . Choose any of the 4 teams represented by blue, red, green, and white, organize amazing battles with...
The HISTOYE Laser Tag Set is part of the shorter range laser guns that you can play indoors and outdoors in broad daylight.
This laser tag set has 4 guns and 4 vests that children and adults can use. The vests act as additional sensors, so you can also aim for it aside from the laser guns of your opponents.
Despite being usable outdoors, the HISTOYE Laser Tag set is better played indoors because of its short range. Compared to other laser guns with a 150-ft range, the former only reaches up to 130 ft.
Nonetheless, this laser tag set is durable and lasts very long. This is mainly because of the hard plastic case and the sturdy parts attached to the laser gun.
To start playing, you have to pair the vests with the gun and set the shooting range you prefer. Each laser gun has 4 shooting types to choose from.
In general, HISTOYE’s laser tag set is a great affordable option. The only issue I have with it is that it doesn’t come with a manual explaining how to activate and pair the vest.
What We Like
- Durable material that lasts long even if you use it all the time
- Can be played even during broad daylight
- Vests trigger vibrations whenever you’re hit, giving a realistic laser tag arena feel
What We Don’t Like
- Requires a lot of batteries (7 for every pair of vests and laser guns)
10. Kidpal Infrared Laser Tag
- REAL-LIFE LASER TAG GAME - It may be the best chance for you to keep your child away from the computer, because our laser gun toy is a scene design that simulates real battles. It can be played...
- 4 TEAMS ACTION - Get in your character, back up and let's begin! You can choose your teammates or fight alone, up to 4 teams can play in this battle. You can switch between the 4 tpye of weapon...
- HAVE FUN AT HOME - You don't have to spend more money in the game experience center, because you can have a cherished memories at home through the laser tag blasters team game on holiday, rainy day...
Included in this list is Kidpal’s Infrared Laser Tag Set. This is a set of 4 laser tag guns that use vests to count lives and register hits.
At first glance, I thought Kidpal was the same as HISTOYE. Their designs are very similar to each other, but, there are slight differences in the design if you look at them closely.
Nonetheless, Kidpal uses infrared light that helps in accurately measuring hits on the vest and the laser gun. Every hit registered will cause the vest and the gun to vibrate making it more realistic to play.
To start playing, all you have to do is press the button found on each gun so that you can choose your team color. This automatically pairs with the same vest color.
Kidpal Infrared Laser Tag guns have four shooting modes – pistol, machine gun, shotgun, and rocket. You can choose the shooting modes right after you choose your team colors.
The common problem users face with this set is the poor quality control of both vest and gun. While some units work well, it would be better if Kidpal can improve on their quality control to avoid defective units.
What We Like
- Can be played by kids and adults
- Affordable for a set of 4 that includes vests
- Vibrations and shooting sounds make the game feel more realistic
What We Don’t Like
- Uses many batteries for the whole set
Laser Tag Gun Buying Guide
All options seem nice, you may be wondering, how to choose one that suits me. Also, is it healthy to let my kids play a role-playing game where they shoot other people?
Does the word “Laser” scare you, when it comes to its harmful effects?
To get answers to these questions and more, look no further than our detailed buying guide below.
Different Shooting Modes
Primitive laser guns have a single basic shooting mode. As the industry advances, companies are integrating several modes to guns, this includes shotguns, rocket launchers, pistols, and riffles.
Having different shooting modes makes your game more versatile and challenging. The laser shooting range also determines which mode you’re going to choose.
Durability is a valid concern when it comes to kids’ toys, as they’re likely to drop off their toys or break them. Parents are always looking for something durable that’s worth its price and will last with their kids for a good amount of time.
Most of laser tag guns are made of plastic, to which they’re some added composites to make it harder. The more expensive the laser tag gun is, the more durable the material it’s made of. That’s probably the key feature that makes price differences between laser tag sets.
You need a material that will withstand being dropped on the floor without being shattered into a million pieces. Reading customer reviews might help you with that.
Overall whatever set you decide on purchasing, you should be aware that durability will always be a drawback.
With or Without Vests
Unlike traditional laser tag sets, newer guns come with no vests. They have sensors embedded in blasters to serve as targets. This doesn’t mean that vests don’t exist, they’re still around but are less common.
However, laser tag sets that have done away with vests tend to be harder to target. This is mainly because you have to aim directly towards the front of the gun or else the hit won’t be registered.
If your kids are going to use this indoors, we’d favor a no-vest game. While in the case of outdoor games, you’re free to choose what seems convenient to you.
Lights and Sound Effects
Having nice LED lights on laser tag guns is favorable. Some guns tell you the number of lives left through these lights, which is a helpful option. The purpose of good lights is not only to look good but also to help illuminate the place in case you play in the dark -and you probably will-.
Sound effects are crucial when it comes to laser tag set. Players need sounds and vibrations to know which one is shot, who shot them and what shooting mode they’re using. Some laser guns have multiple sound effects for multiple shooting modes, while other sets have a distinct sound for each gun.
Other advanced models feature interactive sound guidance or feedback systems. Such options help make the game more interesting and help engage kids. However, watch out for products with unclear loud sound effects, as they’ll do nothing but disturb players and people around.
Multi-Play Option: How Many Blasters Do You Need?
Probably you’ve noticed that all the options we reviewed are sold in sets. You’ll rarely find an individual gun sold separately, which makes sense because you’ll never be playing laser tag set alone.
Most of the options come in sets of 2 or 4. Depending on the laser tag set, you might find vests included or not. Recently, manufacturers are leaning towards getting rid of old vests and putting target receiving sensors on the guns themselves instead.
Getting a set rather than an individual laser gun is cost-efficient. Keep in mind that you might need to get an extra pair for your children’s friends or in case of party settings and family activities.
So if you have 2 children, buy a set of four, if you have 3, opt for six, and so on. Good news is that many of them are compatible with each other.
Safety Features and Material
When choosing a kid’s toy, safety should be your priority. In the case of the laser tag set, the safety of the laser beam is what we care for. Make sure to look at the laser beam classification and ensure that it’s classified for kids.
A strong laser beam can cause serious damage to your kids’ eyes, so this matter is not to be taken lightly.
Regarding material, most laser tag guns are made of composite plastic. Yet types of plastic vary considerably and they come at different prices. Plastic is safe and light for children to play with. However, try to find a durable type so that it can withstand the intensity of the game.
Another important aspect to look at is the battery life. To allow for easy mobility, laser tag guns are battery-operated, they usually run on 3 or 4 AAA batteries. A good performance is measured by how long do the batteries last, how much time do they need to recharge, and how often do they need to be replaced.
A humble laser gun will draw a lot of energy from its battery in a short time. Subsequently taking more time to recharge and changing batteries frequently.
If you’re buying this for your kids, you should know that those guns will be more prone to run out of battery power, because kids will be constantly pulling the trigger consuming battery power. That’s why choosing a high-performing laser tag gun is key to long uninterrupted battles.
Ease of Use
An aspect that’s always overlooked by buyers yet extremely important if you’re making this purchase for kids is the ease of use. Laser tag guns are made for kids and adults, that’s why you should check whether the ones you’re buying are suitable for kids or not.
They should be lightweight and ergonomic to allow for fast maneuvering. Stay away from large-sized laser guns and those which have multiple buttons, they’re a hassle to handle by kids. If there’re vests included, ask yourself do they fit well?
How Much Should I Spend?
Luckily, the market is no short of laser tag gun sets and they’re available at a wide range of prices. You just need to set your budget, decide on what features do you need, and review products that comply with these requirements accordingly.
Keep in mind that most laser tag sets come with no extra accessories or batteries. You should expect the cost of replacing batteries to add up over time, though.
Our advice here would be, don’t go too cheap so that it’ll break easily and don’t overdo it with expensive stuff, because it’s a game after all.
Laser Tag Guns FAQs
What is a Laser Tag Gun?
Laser Tag is a game in which players use a gun that shoots infrared beams. They either play as teams or solo and try to eliminate each other. Despite the name, laser tag guns don’t actually fire “laser” due to its dangerous health effects.
A laser tag gun is the fundamental part of the game, besides the basic functionality of shooting people to “tag” them, guns sometimes have embedded RF waves to transfer score wirelessly to a computer.
How Does Laser Tag Work?
Laser Tag is a sports and tactical game that resembles a military mission. Points are deducted when you’re hit and the last man/ team standing wins. It’s similar to regular paintball minus hitting each other with paint. Instead, an infrared beam is used to hit your opponents.
The infrared rays are emitted from a laser tag gun and received by a sensor embedded inside a vest or another gun. In case you’re wondering why these rays are visible in movies or in outdoor laser tag arenas but not at home.
The answer is pretty simple, when you shoot a laser beam in a wide dark place it can be visible, unlike when you do so in a well-lighted place. You might get this effect if you play with your laser tag guns outdoors at night. It’s not guaranteed by all products, though.
Technically speaking, the gun fires 2 beams simultaneously; a visible one with color to know where you’re firing and another invisible infrared one that carries information to indicate that a player is hit.
Where Should I Play Laser Tag?
Pretty much anywhere with roomy space and limited obstacles and confinements. Laser tag can be played indoors and outdoors, during daylight or at night. It’s recommended to play outdoors at night though for the beams to be visible.
Sunlight will hinder the game and blur your sight of the beam to some extent, so if you want to play in the daytime, make sure that sunlight isn’t direct.
What Is the Best Laser Tag Set to Buy?
This all depends on what you are looking for. We recommend the Nerf Official Phoenix Multiplayer Exclusive, but it may not fit your needs.
There are several things you have to consider when choosing a laser gun. You have to consider how many guns they have, whether they have vests or not, the features, and, of course, the price.
You should also make sure you get high-quality laser tag guns. You don’t want cheap guns that break when you first use them.
With these in mind, you should get a great laser tag gun set for yourself.
Can Laser Tag Hurt You?
Laser tag guns used infrared lasers instead of real lasers. So no, laser tag guns can’t hurt you. Even if you point the laser at someone’s eyes, this will not affect them in any way.
That said, laser tag is a physically demanding game. You’re going to be running around trying to defeat your enemies. If you’re not careful, you may trip and hurt yourself this way.
There’s nothing dangerous about the guns themselves, nor is the game by any means harmful. If you’re careful, no one should get hurt while playing laser tag.
What Is the Age Range for Laser Tag?
Laser tag is a great game because everyone, regardless of age, can enjoy it. From kids all the way up to adults, laser tag is guaranteed to provide hours of enjoyment.
Given the physical demands of this game, kids and teenagers enjoy this game the most. Older people will still have a great time, but they may not have the stamina to keep up.
Also, the game can be quite complicated for very young kids. This is why most laser tag arenas have a minimum age of at least 5 years old. In some places, this reaches up to 8. But for DIY laser tag games, anyone who gets the rules can play!
How Long Is The Game?
Typically around 10 to 20 minutes. This varies according to the number of players, battle mode -teams or individuals- and whether you’re playing a timed game or a scoring one.
Are Laser Tag Guns Harmful to My Eyes?
The short answer is no.
The laser tag gun beam is infrared, just like the one that comes out of a TV remote control. It’s totally harmless and safe for kids. These infrared rays have low energy and low frequency and won’t be inflicting your kids’ eyes. No need to worry.
The only danger you can expect from a laser tag game is physical injuries like bruises or sprained ankles. Totally independent of the guns themselves.
How To Win a Laser Tag Game?
First time to play laser tag? No need to worry, the rules are pretty simple and you can tweak them to accommodate your playing style. We’ll be sharing some tips and tricks to help you win.
Two general rules to start with. One, always familiarizes yourself with the arena, especially if you’re playing outdoors. Two, make yourself comfortable with your gun, get a feel of how to grip it, and explore its functionality.
How to Defend
- Move sideways whenever you can, this will minimize the risk of getting shot.
- Make use of the invisibility mode if it exists, especially by the end of the game.
- Don’t limit yourself to one spot, in order not to make yourself an easy target.
How to Attack
- Find a good spot to shoot from and try to protect your back while doing so.
- Look for flashing lights, either from vests or other guns. Aim to shoot that.
- Don’t pull the trigger unless you’re shooting someone to save batteries.
- Focus on shot accuracy rather than the number of shots, a few good shots are better than plenty of useless ones.
What Are Good Brands for Laser Tag Guns?
Nerf, as we’ve previously mentioned is among the big players in the laser tag game industry. It’s specialized in laser tag sets, that’s why they put extra care into every single detail.
Off the top of our heads are Dynasty, Armogear, Laser X, and Kidzlane. If you’re looking for something more advanced, you might check options like Recoil.
Why Should You Consider Getting Your Kids a Laser Tag Set?
A laser tag set is not just a silly game that gets your kids running around pointing laser beams at each other. It has numerous mental and physical benefits. We’ll be expanding on these below.
A Great Physical Exercise
Most people think of workouts as boring, especially kids. That’s why the key to making your kids exercise is to find them some sort of a workout they enjoy and what’s better than a brutal laser tag battle?
Running, climbing, dodging, and jumping are pillars of a good cardiovascular workout. Playing laser tag outdoors will harness these workout benefits, but also playing indoors will get the kids’ heart rates up and improve circulation.
In case of a birthday or themed parties where kids consume lots of sugar, it’ll be a great activity to drain their energy and help them sleep calmly afterward.
It Helps Build Teamwork Skills
With different playing modes, you can choose to play laser tag solo, in teams of 2, 3, or even 4. During the game, kids need to develop a plan that involves a common goal with their team. Such an activity will help enhance the communication skills of your kids and will teach them how to be part of a team.
A player must warn their fellow team member in case of danger and they should inform each other of any change in plans. Such details will make your kid a better communicator.
It also helps in icebreaking. If kids are in a big party or so, bonding over laser tag will instantly make them friends!
Family Bonding Activity
Don’t claim that laser tag is for kids only, because we won’t trust you! Who doesn’t want to enjoy a nice game of laser tag from time to time? Nobody.
Gathering your family all together to play such a game can help you bond together and draft your kids away from their smartphones and computer screens.
Improves Basic Coordination Skills
Laser tag is a strategic game, it needs a good hand/eye coordination for starters. Alongside with team cooperation skills. This might not seem obvious, but over time such games will sharpen your kids’ basic mental and cognitive skills.
It’s Safe and Fun
Infrared beams of laser guns are harmless and the guns themselves are made of plastic. You shoot your enemy by pointing the gun to their vest -if they have any- or to their corresponding gun. Once they’re hit with the laser beam they’re out. Easy and simple.
No need for special equipment or safety tools like a helmet or knee pads. Making it a portable game that can be carried anywhere and most importantly you don’t have to worry about your kids harming themselves while playing.
It Reduces Screen Time
Nowadays, nothing worries parents about their kids’ health and development more than the insane amount of time they spend staring at screens. Whether it’s a smartphone, a laptop, or a tablet.
Our kids are getting more screen time now than ever and it’s affecting their cognitive skills, eyesight, weight, and social skills.
Encouraging your kids to play laser tag can help distract them from these evil devices. They’ll be making plans, interacting together, and running all around. Just like the old days!
Overall, we’d go with the Nerf Official Phoenix Multiplayer Exclusive due to the impressive features it combines at a reasonable price. It’d be a nice starter home-based kit for your kids.
If you’re a hardcore gamer, we think you should opt for the Recoil Laser Combat 4-Player Exclusive, a bit pricey but the AR thing is totally worth it!